OTTAWA – Baseball Canada announces that the Melville Minor Ball Association has met all the criteria to become the fifth association in Canada to be “RBI Approved.”
Melville now joins two associations from Manitoba (Winnipeg South and Red River Valley) and two counterparts from Saskatchewan, Saskatoon and their rivals from Yorkton who were “RBI Approved” in February.
“Our rivalry runs deep with Yorkton in every sport imaginable. Baseball is no different,” says MMBA President Brett Walchuk. “It's a very healthy thing for each centre to have as we push each other to be better.”
The MMBA got approval from Baseball Canada after it implemented the Rally Cap program at their grassroots level for the first time this season. Walchuk says that coaches and parents have already noticed a difference in the kids participating.
“The Rally Cap program is a great and amazing grassroots program. The children are so excited for games and practices now as compared to years past. It's also great to hear from parents that their kids talk about ball with their friends and family again.”
As Baseball Canada continues this initiative to create uniform standards across the country, the MMBA sees the benefits of having passed the criteria set forth by the national body.
“This puts us in a different class. It elevates and shows everyone else that we care about and strive for baseball excellence,” says Walchuk. “In the past few years our ball program underwent some changes and enrolment was affected. But with the integrity and prestige this approval gives us and the Rally Cap program, our numbers are back on the up and up.”
For 2009, RBI accreditations are awarded to local baseball associations that comply with the minimum operating standards in these four areas:
- Development Programs
- Membership with Baseball Canada
- Coaches Training
An Association can become a Baseball Canada RBI Approved Association in 2009 by meeting these following criteria:
- The Association is a member in good standing with the Provincial Baseball Association (as recognized by Baseball Canada) and with Baseball Canada through the registration of all players, coaches and umpires participating in the local Association.
- The Association is fully utilizing the Rally Cap program as the main Initiation program for kids between 5 and 8
- The Association is providing support to its coaches by driving them to the Baseball Canada NCCP Programs ensuring that all Rep level coaches are properly certified as per Baseball Canada requirements and that all house league/community programs have at least one coach per team who have completed the Initiation Coach level at minimum
- The Association is providing access to all programs to boys and girls at any age
- The Association is in support and using the Baseball Canada pitch counts for the Mosquito and Pee-Wee divisions
In order to become a RBI Approved association for 2009, simply send an email to email@example.com addressing all the criteria mentioned above. Baseball Canada will contact you to approve your Association or to ask additional questions.